Pages

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

9.30.11

FRAN


Fran is a notoriously difficult CrossFit benchmark workout.  It combines core movements of the squat, push press and pull-up, and works all major muscle groups.  The workout consists of:


21 Thrusters 65#
21 Pull-ups
15 Thrusters 65#
15 Pull-ups
9 Thrusters 65#
9 Pull-ups
Completed in as short as time possible.


My first time doing Fran was at my CrossFit Certification in 2009.  I started with 65# and trainer Jolie Gentry (Winner of the 2007 CrossFit Games) had to come strip my bar (and consequently my pride) down to 55#.  I did jumping pull-ups and completed a modified Fran in 7:03.  Three months later I moved up to 65# with jumping pull-ups and did it in 5:55.


The last time we tested Fran (July 1, 2011), I did it as prescribed (Rx'd) for the first time!  I had finally gotten my kipping pull-ups down and had a 9:30 Fran.


This time, I'm happy to say that I shaved off just short of 1 minute.


Fran: 8:31 Rx'd PR!


Before Fran, we worked up to a heavy single, or 1RM of the Thruster.  The Thruster is one of the most draining exercises as it combines a front squat with a push press, taxing the entire body.


My previous Thruster 1RM was 105.  I was feeling a competitive spirit as the heaviest lift for a girl that day was 115.  That's what I wanted to beat.  I worked up to 110 and then went for 115.  I hit it and put 1 pound plates on each side and got 117!  Then I decided to just go for 120.  I hit 120 no problem and decided to stop there because I wanted to save some energy for Fran.


When I started Fran, a 65 lb. thruster felt like nothing, compared to the 120 I had just lifted.  This was the beauty in the programming for the day.  By lifting a heavy single thruster, my Fran weight seemed light, making it psychologically "easier".


This is the concept that Brad has explained this phenomenon as post-activation potentiation, "which is lifting or supporting a larger load than you intend to train with right before your work sets, causing your work sets to seem lighter than they are. Post (meaning after, as in after the really heavy set) activation (as in you are activating otherwise dormant motor units within the working muscle groups) potentiation refers to an effect that last for several minutes. You're tricking your nervous system into lifting more weight".


And guess what?  It worked!  


Thruster 1RM: 120 PR!









No comments:

Post a Comment